Monday, July 20, 2015

Multimodal Literacies

How can I effectively incorporate technology into writers workshop?

I was recently at a conference in Ireland where I heard about using iPads in writers workshop and I was so excited about what I heard! Here was the information I took away and plan to use in my teaching.

The end goal for this writing unit is a multimodal literacies project, including a stop motion animation film.

Technology Tool: iPads
Teaching Content: Writer's Workshop (story telling)
Teaching Method: Modeling, Collaboration, Inquiry 

Throughout the writing unit students will:

  • Explore and learn about stop motion animation through inquiry
  • View and analyze examples of stop motion animation
  • Read, analyze, and discuss characteristics of the realistic fiction genre
  • Learn how to generate realistic fiction ideas
  • Work in a group to draft a realistic fiction story
  • Plan a stop motion animation that visualizes their story
  • Use peer feedback and collaborate to revise and edit their writing piece and animation

I look forward to trying this in my classroom because it can be modified to fit the needs of my students. I frequently use story telling to teach language skills, and incorporating technology with story telling will help reach all my students. Each student and group of students can work together to illustrate a story and use language to tell their story. As their language skills improve they can continue to modify and revise their story to include more details and descriptions.

Stay tuned to see how my lesson goes and how you can use this in your classroom! Here is the link to the presenter I got the idea from. Multimodal Literacies Presentation. Her website includes more details and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment